By now, you may have heard the unfortunate news that a fire broke out inside La Residence on Sunday morning.
The kitchen – and much of its contents – is destroyed after an air-conditioning unit caught fire, and the restaurant will be closed for weeks in order to clean up the mess.
But the good news is: In dark times, members of our community join forces.
Amanda Fisher owns and operates The Blakemere Company. For years, she has prepared her handmade English goods like scones and clotted cream using the La Residence kitchen. She also occasionally hosts English teas at La Rez.
She was ready to host one of her larger teas on Sunday, June 19 – for 54 people attending the Jane Austen Summer Program at UNC. But the news of the fire sent her into a tailspin. “I’ve lost the home for my business and all my equipment,” she says. “It’s just devastating.”
Amanda’s son, Alex, works as an assistant chef at City Kitchen, and Amanda was stunned and touched when the staff there reached out to her, offering their event space and use of their kitchen so that her Sunday tea can go on.
“By 11:30 a.m. on Monday, we had a new home for our event and all these people running in circles to help us,” she says. “It’s astonishing how they’ve stepped up and saved us.”