As we step into 2013, new resolutions come to the forefront of our minds. Fresh goals and aspirations take precedence as we slowly but surely shrug off the burdens and struggles of last year. That is what I love about the new year -- a fresh start.
The “ins” and “outs” of interior design aren’t as fleeting as ever-changing new year’s resolutions. However, now is the time to update and refresh dated areas of your home.
Here are 10 interior design trends that are in style and 10 trends that are out of vogue (and probably have been for about a decade now).
Take a look around: Are you seeing “what’s hot" ... or “what’s not”?
- Mixing of furniture styles within a room
- Family-friendly living spaces
- Simple flanges and elegant trim on pillows
- Roman or woven wooden shades
- Euro pleated floor-length curtain panels
- Neutral paint colors
- "Like" statement pieces grouped together for display
- Classic styles and clean-lined furniture
- Mixing and matching different pillow fabrics
- Slender, dark metal curtain rods
- Matchy-matchy furniture "suites"
- Overly formal and stuffy living rooms
- Bulky and frilly trim on pillows
- Cellular shades
- Decorative jabots
- "Jelly bean box" paint colors
- Display cabinets full of tiny collectables
- Dark and heavy "baroque" furniture
- Using only one print throughout a whole room
- Heavy, carved curtain rods
Click on the slideshow to see a few examples of "what's hot" in interior design.