Started in 2004 as a holiday project for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce Women’s Roundtable, Blanket Orange County has grown into an annual, local tradition of providing comfort and warmth – by way of blanket donations – to those in need throughout the chilling winter months. This year’s drive aims to collect 300 new or gently used blankets to donate to the Inter-Faith Council, a non-denominational nonprofit that provides services to combat poverty, hunger and homelessness in the Chapel Hill and Carrboro areas.
“Hundreds upon hundreds of blankets have been donated by Blanket Orange County over the years that are used by residents at [IFC organizations] Community House and HomeStart,” says Kristen Lavergne, IFC’s community services director. “Your gifts of blankets are important, and they make a huge difference in the lives of homeless persons.”
Drop off blankets (twin/single bed size preferred) at one of the eight convenient locations – listed below – between Nov. 16 and Dec. 4.
- Bean & Barrel, 50100 Governors Dr.
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, 104 S. Estes Dr.
- Extraordinary Ventures, 200 S. Elliot Rd.
- Fitch Lumber, 309 N. Greensboro St., Carrboro
- Johnny’s Gone Fishing, 901 W. Main St., Carrboro
- Seymour Center, 2551 Homestead Rd.
- UNC Wellness Center, 100 Sprunt St.
- WCHL/Chapelboro, 88 VilCom Circle, Ste. 130