At a recent Southern Season cooking class taught by Sheri Castle, art director Sarah Arneson and I couldn’t get enough of these devilish delights. Thankfully, Sheri was kind enough to share the recipe with us. Impress your guests this summer with these bright and flavorful bites.
Sheri Castle’s Lemony Deviled Eggs
Makes 6 servings
1 dozen large eggs, preferably about 2 weeks old
½ cup mayonnaise
4 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
¼ tsp. dry mustard
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Paprika, for sprinkling
- Place the eggs in a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let stand 10 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a large bowl of ice water and let stand 15 minutes. Peel eggs.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and rub them through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and butter; mix until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, zest and mustard.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; be a little bold here as the flavors dull slightly when the eggs are chilled.
- Fill the egg whites, sprinkle with paprika and chill until ready to serve.
**Recipe excerpted from The New Southern Garden Cookbook: Recipes for Enjoying the Best from Homegrown Gardens, Farmers’ Markets, Roadside Stands and CSA Farm Boxes by Sheri Castle.