Every year, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce presents the State of the Community Report. You can think of it as a status report of where we stand compared to other towns and counties. Like anything, there’s always room for improvement, but generally, our community is doing pretty well. (See the key findings on page 60.)
Inspired by the report, here’s my own list of the top reasons I love living here:
1) The weather. We are so lucky to have Carolina blue skies most days of the year, making outdoor movies at Southern Village and eating outside enjoyable.
2) The arts. World-class musicians and ensembles stop through town frequently thanks to Carolina Performing Arts and Cat’s Cradle. And the local talent is pretty amazing, too – attend a PlayMakers Repertory Company show and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
3) The food. The cornbread at ACME. The fried peach hand pie at Lula’s. The weekly bounty at the farmers markets. Top of the Hill’s blueberry wheat beer. I could go on and on.
4) UNC. Sure, I’m biased as a UNC alumna, but you haven’t lived until you’ve lost your voice at a Carolina basketball game or looked through the telescope at the Morehead Planetarium and Science Center or attended a free lecture on campus.
5) Shopping local. When I need a birthday card, I go to Cameron’s. One of my favorite purses is from Uniquities, and I have the PTA Thrift Store to thank for my coffee table.
6) The people. With every issue we put out, I learn more about my neighbors, and I know with certainty that there’s not a more giving, talented, passionate community out there.
I hope you have a wonderful stay in town – or maybe you’re here for the foreseeable future – either way, welcome to the Southern part of heaven!
Inside the Visitors & Relocation Guide:
6 Letter From The Editor
Recent acclaim for Orange & Chatham counties
10 Need-to-Know Numbers
16 Local Lingo
Learn to talk like a local with this handy guide
18 Downtown Parking Guide
24 Parks & Rec
8 things to take advantage of, plus all about the bus
30 The Ultimate Chapel Hill Checklist
Everything a local should do, plus seasonal favorites
42 Day Trip
Take a closer look at what to do in Hillsborough, Carrboro, Durham and Chatham County
52 Advice for Relocators
Newly arrived residents share what brought them here and how they’re working to make it feel like home
56 Business Resources
A look at downtown Chapel Hill’s innovation district, plus a directory of business resources and stats
62 The Best Of Chapel Hill Awards + Chatham Readers’ Favorites
72 University of North Carolina
Don’t miss these spots and events on UNC’s campus
80 Dining Guide
A complete guide to area eateries, plus can’t miss daily deals
90 Foodie Fun
Farmers markets, breweries, distilleries and more
96 Real Estate
Starting your home search? The president of the Orange Chatham Association of Realtors offers some insights
We take a closer look at seven distinct neighborhoods in Chatham and Orange counties
Hotels, motels and B&Bs
Three couples share why they tied the knot locally
134 Spas & Salons
138 Fitness Guide
142 Health Care
147 Our Top Dentists
157 Retirement Guide
Locals share what made them move to (or stay in) the southern part of heaven for their golden years
A directory of local districts and other options
192 A Second Look